Genesee County Historical Society Education Committee/Clarence Young Essay Contest Link
The Education Committee is proud to host the annual Clarence Young Essay Contest for local college students. The purpose of the essay contest is to promote original research and writing on the local history of Genesee County, Michigan. Possible topics are endless: individual history, politics, community, social, business or architectural, etc. Writers must, however, use original research while writing on local history.
To view the Clarence Young Essay Contest Power Point, click here
- An eligible student is any person enrolled during the current school year in any college or university which has a campus in Genesee County.
- Essays submitted for consideration must not exceed 30 typed pages; are to be based on original research; are to conform to generally accepted standards of historical writing.
- Entries must be submitted no later than April 20 to the Genesee County Historical Society, 316 Water Street, Flint, Michigan 48503.
- There will be one prize of $500.00; the judges may at their discretion choose to declare no winner or to split the prize money in case of a tie. In all cases the decisions of the judges will be considered final. All entries become the property of the Genesee County Historical Society. The Society may request that the winner present the paper to the membership.
- The winner will be invited to attend the annual meeting of the Society in May when the winner will be presented with a check.
- A complete entry form must accompany all entries.
- All entries receive a free one (1) year membership in the Genesee County Historical Society